Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > Testimonials

Testimonials Here you can read what members have to say about the full membership.

Old 23-12-2020, 22:21   #1
Terrano Steve
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Terrano
Default That time of year

Merry Christmas everyone. I replaced the Terrano with a Isuzu Dmax mainly for towing a digger & was wondering how many members on here are running newish Navara's.
Terrano Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 09:51   #2
Flying Torquewrench

Vehicle: Nissan Patrol Y61 2.8TD

Merry Christmas Steve!

Unfortunately I can’t help you with your Navara question. However I would be interested to hear about your Dmax. How do you find it to tow with and what sort of mpg do you get?

I tow my digger with my Patrol and I am considering replacing it with either a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Isuzu Dmax. From some online research it seems that the Jeep is better on fuel consumption but of course with a Dmax it is easier to take any tools along that don’t fit on the trailer.
Flying Torquewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 12:53   #3
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Default Real World Jeep MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Torquewrench View Post
Merry Christmas Steve!

Unfortunately I can’t help you with your Navara question. However I would be interested to hear about your Dmax. How do you find it to tow with and what sort of mpg do you get?

I tow my digger with my Patrol and I am considering replacing it with either a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Isuzu Dmax. From some online research it seems that the Jeep is better on fuel consumption but of course with a Dmax it is easier to take any tools along that don’t fit on the trailer.
Not sure what sort of MPG your online research for Jeeps has thrown up as there are many untruths out there. I do not tow.

As you know we run two Jeep JC's.
The WJ 2.7CRD average is as follows.
2016 over 9.8k miles 25.13 mpg
2017 over 14k miles 24.64 mpg
2018 over 14k miles 24.32 mpg
2019 over 6k miles 23.64 mpg

As you can see our mileage has dropped in 2019 with just local driving.

The WK 3.0 CRD average so far is as follows
2019 over 3.5k local miles 21.89 mpg - it's all very local journey work and I use the performance as it's so fast!
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 14:58   #4
Flying Torquewrench

Thanks Macabethiel. The figures online (2012 3.0 CRD) are slightly different! I get urban at 27+mpg and extra urban around 39mpg. Which according to the internet is similar to the Dmax. As the Dmax is classed as a commercial vehicle the insurance is higher (around £500 more) than the Jeep but the road tax on the Dmax is lower.

I have been thinking about replacing the patrol for a few years, especially when it is MOT time as it is always a bit of a gamble. Hence why the occasional topic pops up on here with me asking for opinions.

As Terrano Steve also tows a digger it would be very useful to hear his actual fuel figures for the Dmax.
Old 24-12-2020, 19:22   #5
Terrano Steve

Quote:
Thanks Macabethiel. The figures online (2012 3.0 CRD) are slightly different! I get urban at 27+mpg and extra urban around 39mpg. Which according to the internet is similar to the Dmax. As the Dmax is classed as a commercial vehicle the insurance is higher (around £500 more) than the Jeep but the road tax on the Dmax is lower.

I have been thinking about replacing the patrol for a few years, especially when it is MOT time as it is always a bit of a gamble. Hence why the occasional topic pops up on here with me asking for opinions.

As Terrano Steve also tows a digger it would be very useful to hear his actual fuel figures for the Dmax.
Ok so 2.7 Terrano commercial was returning around 27 mpg & handled the trailer really well. This was replaced with a 2.5 Isuzu D Max, fuel consumption dropped slightly to around 25mpg fitted with standard size bfg tyres. The gearing on the 2.5 Dmax is a little high for towing & hard on the clutch, I have replaced the 2.5 with a new 1.9, Isuzu have addressed the gearing issues, fuel consumption seems ok but bit early to give you actual figures.
Old 24-12-2020, 20:16   #6
Terrano Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by macabethiel View Post
Not sure what sort of MPG your online research for Jeeps has thrown up as there are many untruths out there. I do not tow.

As you know we run two Jeep JC's.
The WJ 2.7CRD average is as follows.
2016 over 9.8k miles 25.13 mpg
2017 over 14k miles 24.64 mpg
2018 over 14k miles 24.32 mpg
2019 over 6k miles 23.64 mpg

As you can see our mileage has dropped in 2019 with just local driving.

The WK 3.0 CRD average so far is as follows
2019 over 3.5k local miles 21.89 mpg - it's all very local journey work and I use the performance as it's so fast!
I remember that you & Clive were both running Jeeps & were both pleased with them, I have never dismissed the idea of a Jeep but don't really think it is suitable for my type of work.
Old 24-12-2020, 21:13   #7
Flying Torquewrench

Thank you Terrano Steve!

Just to confirm, the 25mpg on the 2.5 Dmax was whilst towing? As that is not a bad fuel economie at all with a trailer.

I did read that the manual gearing on the Dmax wasn’t ideal but that the automatic didn’t suffer from it.

Merry Christmas.
Old 24-12-2020, 22:44   #8
Terrano Steve

25mpg mainly towing but not always up to 3.5 tonne. Friend of mine has the auto & has nothing but praise for it. What machine are you towing? surprising how weight of attachments all add up.
Old 24-12-2020, 23:08   #9
Flying Torquewrench

Only towing a JCB 8016 at the moment but carry soil, bricks etc up to 3.5 tonne quite regularly. Also do I want to buy something that is future proof in case I ever upgrade the digger to a 2.8 tonner.

The Jeep is more suitable when it is in use to drive the family around. However a pick-up is better as additional tools, buckets, compactor plate etc all can go in the back. Especially as a 2.8 tonner including trailer is just over the legal limit without buckets etc.
Old 25-12-2020, 08:24   #10
Terrano Steve

Personally I think a swb Patrol is going to take some beating, my Terrano was a brilliant all round work truck & the Patrol can only be better. Eventually you are going to have to replace it & your choices are limited. If you go down the pickup route I wouldn't dismiss the Navara with it's electric difflock option. Either of the pick ups will need a lot more room to swing the front when reversing trailers than the Patrol does.
Old 25-12-2020, 10:28   #11
Flying Torquewrench

Not disagreeing with anything you say. I love my Patrol but it is getting on a bit and the fuel economy with a trailer is shocking. With a trailer I am looking at around 10-12mpg. I need to improve that somehow as it is unsustainable, however good the Patrol is.

Ideally I am looking at something that is around 5/6 years old. I have looked at the Ford Ranger, Nissan Navara, Toyota Hilux, Isuzu Dmax, Jeep Grand Cherokee and finally the VW Touareg.

When discussing all the above with ‘my’ mechanic he recommended the Dmax as they are built properly. Yes, maybe lacking in some comfort items compared to others but a reliable truck. Regarding the Navara, he mentioned that they have their fair share of electrical problems. He looks after a few Isuzu’sand rated them very highly.
Old 25-12-2020, 13:41   #12
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van

Quote:
Not disagreeing with anything you say. I love my Patrol but it is getting on a bit and the fuel economy with a trailer is shocking. With a trailer I am looking at around 10-12mpg. I need to improve that somehow as it is unsustainable, however good the Patrol is.

Ideally I am looking at something that is around 5/6 years old. I have looked at the Ford Ranger, Nissan Navara, Toyota Hilux, Isuzu Dmax, Jeep Grand Cherokee and finally the VW Touareg.

When discussing all the above with ‘my’ mechanic he recommended the Dmax as they are built properly. Yes, maybe lacking in some comfort items compared to others but a reliable truck. Regarding the Navara, he mentioned that they have their fair share of electrical problems. He looks after a few Isuzu’sand rated them very highly.
10-12 MPG is awful!!! Didn't realise the 2.8 was that bad on fuel or do you think that your compression worries are linked to your bad fuel economy?

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 14:52   #13
Flying Torquewrench

That is whilst towing Zac. Truth to be told, without a trailer she is not much better. On a full tank she does about 300-350 miles when she is not towing!

I think that it may be down to the problems I have. One of the issues with low compression is increased fuel consumption. Reading on the Australian forum it could be anything up to an engine rebuild!

After the festive period I will have Japanese4x4parts give me a quote on all the parts required to rebuild the engine. If the head needs to come off than I might as well do the whole engine. But one step at a time and get the compression test done.
Old 26-12-2020, 11:14   #14
elty001

Vehicle: 2000se+ 2.7tdi terrano II

That is pretty bad for the fuel consumption.
Used to run a 2.8 swb at work towing a twin axle flat bed trailer loaded with a compact tractor and rear mounted flail/ scarifier unit and it used to return around 18-20 mpg.
Solo it would be between 25-30 mpg if driven steady on the motorway.
Definitely down on mpg.
elty001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 11:57   #15
Flying Torquewrench

Elty, I will reply to that in the ‘Projects’ thread as I have taken over Terrano Steve’s thread and that was not the plan.