Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:28   #1
eminox
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: '02 Terrano 3.0 SVE
Default Hi all

Hi, newby here, looking at buying a Terrano as by 05 Vaux Vectra is....well I have to be polite and watch my language!

Anyway, that's going and I've been offered an 2002 Terrano, 3.0 SVE, not seen it yet as it's a trade in, coming in next week, £3500, MOT due either next month or month after!.

Does this sound a decent price and what should I be looking out for??

Also saw the thread about people putting in veggy oil 50/50 in their vehicles. Surely they must mean processed veggy oil i.e. biodiesel, not just pure veggy oil (me being thick there!!)??

Cheers
eminox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:50   #2
Thomas-the-Terrano2

Vehicle: Terrano2 R20 lwb 2.7TDi

sounds ok, had a 2.7 tdi t2 for 4 years and a 3.0 patrol now just over a year.

the 3.0 t2 go really well, sve sounds high spec too.

havent used svo myself, but others here swear by it, either way you'll soon be
wondering why you left it so long to ditch the vectra, and driving regular cars!

welcome aboard.

'60' 2010 Ford C Max Zetec 1.6i, black

'56' 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0TD, silver

2021 Bailey Pegasus Grade SE Turin caravan

Smile, its more likely to confuse.

One Life, Don't Just Live It, Drive a Nissan, or ...... a Jeep.

Owner of Nissan 4x4s 2005 to 2019, and maybe in the future too!
Thomas-the-Terrano2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:57   #3
zippy656

Vehicle: Nissan Note Ntec 1.5

i use veggie oil from the bottle, 75p liter :-)
no problems at all.

not to sure a 3.0 can though. youd have to check. a good place is here
http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/index.php

very helpfull..
zippy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:11   #4
eminox

So, just get regular veggy oil from the supermarket etc or filter home used stuff and add it 50:50 to the tank, no additive etc...wow...a diesel truck is seemingly more attractive as they day goes on

I'll check on that link regarding the 3.0 litre diesel engine though.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:18   #5
zippy656

i only use clean new stuff. other wise its loads of messing about filtering cleaning ect. also makes it cose more per liter if yo ugot to buy filters ect.

i've a trade card so can get it from wholesalers in 20 lts bottles.

i know the 2.7 intercooler is ok, but wouldnt like to say about any of the others.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:24   #6
eminox

Wow, I really am surprised. I know diesel is basically oil, but never considered blending veggy oil and derv to run a truck....bargain
Old 08-06-2010, 12:40   #7
zippy656

just to let you know. there are some fuel pump that dont like veggie oil. thats why you got to check abnd chat to others on the other site.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:41   #8
lacroupade

Quote:
Originally Posted by eminox View Post
Wow, I really am surprised. I know diesel is basically oil, but never considered blending veggy oil and derv to run a truck....bargain
Be careful as we don't know if the 3.0 is 'approved' yet LOL....the 2.7 has been proven on up to 100% SVO, but not so the 3.0...but since it does 30-32mpg compared to the 23-25 of the 2.7.....

That price is slightly on the low side IMHO; 4x4 prices have risen a fair bit over the last few months and a good 3.0 (or 2.7 for that matter) would easily command 4000-4500 on a dealers forecourt (which is over book)....combination of a bad winter and higher taxes on later models.

What mileage has it done?

Might be best to get the dealer to MoT it first- they are liable for most faults for six months anyway but less hassle for you if you haven't got to get a ticket....but then might be some benefit in having the MoT done elsewhere as a kind if independent check....reverting to the dealer if there are any problems. Beware of buying it invoiced as a 'trade car'.

Theres not much serious goes wrong with these trucks, especially later ones, and the engine is pretty bombproof, so if it looks and drives OK its a good price and I'd bite his hand off....
lacroupade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 13:12   #9
eminox

Yeah, can't seem to find anything relating to the 3.0 model, so need to do some research first me thinks.

I'm not totally sure what the deal will be, he's basically taken it in at £3500 as the trade in value against something he's sold, he's told me that when it comes in then it's going straight off to auction, but he'll give me first call on it as he knows the history I've had with the vectra.

From what he was saying and I'm hoping, it will be sold as is, possibly at that £3500 price I dunno, but I'll have to do the mot etc, so it's a gamble either way, keep the vectra and pay through the nose for an unreliable car or go for this and potentially buy a bag of spanners!

The previous owner was a Saab technician, so I'm assuming that it's been well looked after!
Old 08-06-2010, 14:29   #10
lacroupade

Quote:
Yeah, can't seem to find anything relating to the 3.0 model, so need to do some research first me thinks. GOOD IDEA

I'm not totally sure what the deal will be, he's basically taken it in at £3500 as the trade in value against something he's sold, he's told me that when it comes in then it's going straight off to auction, but he'll give me first call on it as he knows the history I've had with the vectra.

From what he was saying and I'm hoping, it will be sold as is, possibly at that £3500 price I dunno, but I'll have to do the mot etc, so it's a gamble either way, keep the vectra and pay through the nose for an unreliable car or go for this and potentially buy a bag of spanners! JUST BE AWARE THAT IF HE SELLS IT AS A TRADE CAR I THINK YOU HAVE LESS CONSUMER RIGHTS

The previous owner was a Saab technician, so I'm assuming that it's been well looked after! BAD ASSUMPTION; (I) NISSAN TECHNICIANS STRUGGLE WITH THESE THINGS A LOT OF THE TIME (THIS SITE PROBABLY KNOWS MORE COLLECTIVELY THAN THEY DO), AND (II) CARTECHSCARSAREUSUALLY THE WORST!!! Lol
But don't let that put you off....if he's trading it cos he doesn't sell older cars or 4x4s thats fine, make sure mileage is around 80k or less at this price/age, check for rust and oil leaks underneath and thats about it...most everything is fairly easily fixable and not that much goes wrong TBH....
Old 08-06-2010, 14:39   #11
tezzer

Vehicle: transit camper van 1987

welcome aboard eminox, seems you have already have some sound advice, anyway good luck with the truck.
tezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 14:43   #12
eminox

Cheers all, will check mileage etc as mentioned, not coming in till next Friday, so have to wait and keep fingers crossed until then

I see him down the pub regular so I doubt he'd want his reputation damaged at all.
Old 08-06-2010, 16:50   #13
lacroupade

Quote:
Cheers all, will check mileage etc as mentioned, not coming in till next Friday, so have to wait and keep fingers crossed until then

I see him down the pub regular so I doubt he'd want his reputation damaged at all.
Sounds good to me! Good luck!
Old 08-06-2010, 17:04   #14
eminox

Just one other thing, going on about veggy oil possibilities, seen a few things regarding Customs & Excise, and I know you can produce a certain amount of diy biodiesel duty free, but what about using SVO, do you have to pay duty on that if using to power vehicles still?
Old 08-06-2010, 17:35   #15
CaptLimey

Vehicle: '03 LWB MK.4 3Ltr T2

Hi Eminox
I've been watching these 3.0 ltrs for some time and the price is good for a 2002, assuming its a 5 door and the mileage is under 100k. As Lacroupade says there's not a lot to go wrong with them. Other threads suggest that the high and low oil pressure sensors (they have two) are sometimes faulty but easy to replace. Also the earlier gearboxes have a history of layshaft bearing failure. I know - I had to replace my '96 T2 box, but they may have rectified that problem by 2002. Good luck with the deal and post some pics when you can. If you don't buy it pm me the dealers details I may be interested!
Regards CL
CaptLimey is offline   Reply With Quote