Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > Members free classifieds and wanted items.

Members free classifieds and wanted items. Place your Nissan/Ford 4x4 vehicles or related items for sale and wanted here.

Old 20-08-2014, 06:18   #16
AlexD333
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: 2004 Terrano 2.7 TDI

Oh blimey, just seen you sold it for £550... What does the dude want... Tell him to go and fix it!!

It came with tax and mot too?
AlexD333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 07:16   #17
Madmark

Vehicle: highly modded Terrano 2

If buy some means you end up with it back I text you about it on gumtree and my mate is ready to come down and buy it for £500 bud my mobile is 07769154840
Madmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 09:40   #18
brettgilbert77

Vehicle: Nissan Terrano II 2.7 TDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmark View Post
If buy some means you end up with it back I text you about it on gumtree and my mate is ready to come down and buy it for £500 bud my mobile is 07769154840
Thanks,
I actually deleted a load of old text messages yesterday and yours was with them. 10 minutes later I got his email

I did go through the fact that the car had some issues and the suspension was a bit squeaky at the front which I assumed was due to the missing bush on the drop link. It was sold as a vehicle that needed work, but he was just using it occasionally to haul bails of hay up a track to his girlfriends horse.

The MoT test is only as good as the day it's done, so they'd be fine. The guy who does the testing is happy to turn a blind eye to some issues, such as the missing battery clamp, but wouldn't let me drive anything unsafe. I don't want him getting in the brown stuff though if this chap complains. Whilst I may not be held accountable by trading standards by selling a car privately and not being a mechanic, they may check him out.

I'll tell the guy I'll see the vehicle, have a good look over it and if it's not got many more miles on and no obvious signs of being abused I'll give him back hos money and take it back. No real skin off my nose. Also don't think I sent the V5 of to DVLA yet, as I couldn't remember where I put the paperwork, so probably okay on that front.
brettgilbert77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 09:50   #19
AlexD333

Dont talk yourself into a hole dude, you sold it on good intentions and mentioned the work you know. I wouldnt start going back and forth, nor do I think you are responsible for any comeback
Old 20-08-2014, 10:14   #20
Fez_uk

Vehicle: Maverick 2.7 - Patrol 4.2

Probably a scam. He can request the logbook with the counterpart if it got lost in post or whatever.

Your a private seller? it's sold as seen. he was happy with it when he handed over the money. End of! It's a £550 motor, what did he expect a mint condition vehicle!?

Ignore it

But if you are worried go and have a chat with the place that MOT'ed it and see what they say. It's not your problem they may have missed a few things on the MOT.
Fez_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 10:22   #21
brettgilbert77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fez_uk View Post
Probably a scam. He can request the logbook with the counterpart if it got lost in post or whatever.

Your a private seller? it's sold as seen. he was happy with it when he handed over the money. End of! It's a £550 motor, what did he expect a mint condition vehicle!?

Ignore it

But if you are worried go and have a chat with the place that MOT'ed it and see what they say. It's not your problem they may have missed a few things on the MOT.
Yeah, I'm a private seller, but if Mark's mate will take it for £500 I'll tell this chap I'll give him £500 back as I don't really need to take it.
Just concerned if he does kick up a stink then the MoT tester might get in trouble, or at least not think the best of me. If I don't lose out then it's not really a problem. Not worried about him threatening to 'come round my house' as I've moved house since then anyway.
Old 20-08-2014, 10:36   #22
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Cool Sold as seen buyer beware

I think you are on safe ground if you start offering a refund then it leads you open to cost incurred by him such as insurance cover / cancellation / collection costs etc.

The Mot advises are fine you will not get anyone in trouble in my opinion.
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 10:53   #23
AlexD333

Quote:
Originally Posted by macabethiel View Post
I think you are on safe ground if you start offering a refund then it leads you open to cost incurred by him such as insurance cover / cancellation / collection costs etc.

The Mot advises are fine you will not get anyone in trouble in my opinion.
A'men to that, I think youd be best keeping quiet and letting it all blow over. Start off polite but firm, once you start admitting this and returning that it will get very messy very quickly and the guy might start trying it on big time.
Old 20-08-2014, 11:32   #24
brettgilbert77

Managed to get the advert I posted on Autotrader:

It's a 1998 S reg SWB Nissan Terrano Salomon model, Manual box. This comes with the 2.7TDi engine. It's taxed until September 2014 (Tax rate is £126.50 6 months or £230.00 for 12 months). The MoT expires June 2015, so almost a years motoring to be had. Comes with a tow bar and dual electrics (not tested) It starts, drives and stops, It also runs happily on straight vegetable oil if you so desire. You can buy that new at a wholesalers for 75ppl, so can be quite economical to run. It's not a new vehicle, perfect for someone who needs a towing car or rugged off roader. there were a few advisories on the MoT, but nothing too bad and easy for a home diyer to sort out. The nearside wing looks to have been badly repaired/sprayed, and the rear bumper had been repaired and looks scruffy. The rest of the panels are in good condition for the age of the car, well, they're pretty straight anyway. Some are held on with cable ties in places though and could do with being tidied up. The Front tyres are almost new BF Goodrich all terrains, the rear two are a mud terrain on one side and road on the other as is the spare which has a puncture. I guess the mud terrain used to be the spare. Probably will need replacement rear tyres, which you could get part-worn for £30 each on eBay. Seems a shame to break a vehicle which someone could use though. It is an old 4x4 though, mechanically sound, but a little scruffy. Don't expect a new car., No service history, Next MOT due on 08/06/2015, Tax expires by 31/08/2014, Electric windows, Air conditioning, MP3 player, CD player, Leather trim, Folding rear seats, 15" Alloy Wheels, Spare wheel (Full), Power steering, Central locking, Alarm, Immobiliser, Driver's airbags, Passenger airbags

I've spoken to trading standards and they're saying that as I state it has an MoT then I'm not responsible for anything they didn't find during that inspection, nor anything that has happened since.

I still have the V5 though and DVLA are happy for me to just cross off this guys details and sell it to Mark's friend provided he's happy with it.

In a quandary now, email this chap back and tell him to stick it, or get it back for £50 less (provided it's not been damaged) and sell it to Mark's friend. Wouldn't be out of pocket, and wouldn't have this idiot contacting me about it.
Old 20-08-2014, 12:09   #25
Fez_uk

Vehicle: Maverick 2.7 - Patrol 4.2

Tell him to stick it, You have no idea what condition this thing is in now.

The add and price clearly portrays a picture of the motor being scruffy, in need of attention. but someone with the right DIY knowledge could get a nice motor in the end with a few hours work.
Fez_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 12:31   #26
bry

Vehicle: Nissan Terrano MK 2 SE

No warranty given or implied,by the looks of that advert.Keep a copy of the advert.If the guy gets back in touch explain the fact that you have spoken to trading standards about this issue.Also the fact you are not a qualified mechanic,therefore you listed any faults as you knew to be.And the truck was bought "as seen"

Also explain the fact he implied a threat"Coming to see you if need be etc"So the police may have to be involved.
bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 13:57   #27
brettgilbert77

Well,
Ed's happy to take it as a project vehicle for £500.

I've told the buyer that I will come and see it. If he's not wrecked it in the past 2 weeks and it still looks fine and drives like it did when I sold it I'll give him £500 of the £550 he paid.

I have the V5 and DVLA are happy for me to change the details to those of Ed.

If the buyer messes about, has damaged the car or is threatening then he'll be keeping it and Trading standards won't be interested in his case. I'd also call the police if he continues to threaten me in any way.

This way everyone's happy, I keep £550, the buyer gets most of his money back and Ed gets the Terrano as a project. Provided I don't smack the chap in the mouth when I see him noone goes to court

I could indeed tell him to 'suck it up buttercup', but then Ed wouldn't get his project and I'd be getting snotty emails from this guy. So it's a Karma thing,
Old 20-08-2014, 16:07   #28
AlexD333

I think you are being risky by thinking about taking it back, whos to say he hasnt butchered something you wont know about. And apart from that, if this guy bails out on rebuying it your then stuck with your truck again that you didnt want.

I would just say to the guy "i sold it in good faith, im not a mechanic I just made some obvious observations about the condition, and it was fairly listed on the net. He was obviously happy with it or he wouldnt have taken it either, so if he trys the "im not a mechanic line" you can do the same

Still think you are making hard work for yourself though
Old 20-08-2014, 16:08   #29
AlexD333

Id give him like £350/£400
Old 20-08-2014, 19:08   #30
jims-terrano

Personally I would simply explain that you have been in touch with Trading Standards and taken advice. Be polite but firm say that you have no responsibility and you have no obligation to give a refund in part or full and such will not be doing so. Refer him back to the original advert but do not give him a copy. Do not say "sorry" or give any kind of refund as this maybe looked upon as admitting liability. A straight no is the way to go.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote