Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 25-11-2018, 23:25   #1
jims-terrano
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Default Male Cancers

Following on from Makeitfit’s post about his fantastic efforts I cannot emphasise enough the importance of been aware of the symptoms of male cancers, don’t forget about the ladies of course as this terrible disease doesn’t distinguish but on the subject of Movember which is aimed at guys. Blokes are great at dismissing symptoms, brushing them off or not talking about them. It’s easy to think that that discoloured pee was food colouring from that takeaway last night and sure enough a few hours later it’s gone and back to your normal colours, I make no apologies for being descriptive as this is so important. We lost our friend and long time member of this forum Rustic earlier this year and I know others have suffered and are suffering. Guys any problems at all go to the doctors, don’t be afraid of the “finger of fudge” as it’s been described as, take a sample of that food colouring stained pee as the doctor can test it there and then. It doesn’t mean you have cancer it can be any number of other problems that are easily sorted. Your doctor will not be hacked off because you’ve wasted his time, the opposite actually.
Following Uncle Rustics advice I took myself off to the doctors complete with sample, first time I went I was fobbed off or at least that’s how I felt and of course I felt like I was wasting his time because my pee had cleared. Cut a long story short the doctor confirmed my sample did indeed contain blood and referred me to hospital. Totally expecting enlarged prostate being the worst case. The hospital took me for a day, ultra sound, blood test and the camera

The investigation is not pleasant to say the least but unfortunately it revealed a tumour Bladder Cancer can effect woman but mainly blokes

So I’m facing an operation and chemo next week. The doctors will not know until after the operation just how advanced my cancer is, thats one of the hardest things I heard a nurse say to me “your cancer”. Some of my friends all ready know about this and have been nothing but supportive. Now I’m not going to turn this thread into a long running story. This is meant as an example to you guys, don’t sit on it if you KNOW you have a problem, get it checked out.

All being well this will be restricted to the lining of my bladder, a quick zap with chemo and then the camera to monitor things for the next five years and I’ll be clear. Fingers crossed!

So Uncle Rustics advice lives on and this is two members of this forum that he has saved.

So guys Movember is a fantastic cause and publicises just how important it is to get yourself checked out. There’s lots of information online such as the NHS website. Don’t be frightened of the investigation procedures, I’ll tell you the camera hurts big time but it is so important. Obviously there are other procedures too. Think of your loved ones, talk to them, talk to you mates but most importantly talk to your doctor.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2018, 23:39   #2
makeitfit

Vehicle: Maverick TDi BLACK mmm

Sound words Jim.
Big respect coming out with it ,and all the best with the zap.
I've been doing Movember stuff for 9 years now and every year I get to know more guys in the dark and suffering stuff they shouldn't.
As Jim says, and as I have said and done, get the finger of fudge test. It's no biggie and defo better than the camera crew
Good luck all and thanks for the support

https://moteam.co/marinerstaches?mc=1
makeitfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 07:31   #3
don simon

Vehicle: Terrano ii

That took guts, mate.
I'm probably due another visit to the docs for an MOT.
don simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 07:58   #4
jims-terrano

On the scale of things I’ve never had the finger of fudge but I reckon it has to be more preferable than a hollywood film crew Pete but unfortunately I believe it’s a far more reliable test.

I did forget to mention that the NHS is an awesome organisation and long may it last.
Old 26-11-2018, 19:59   #5
Blocky10

Vehicle: 2004 Terrano 3.0 SVE Auto

I read every word Jim. Good man for sharing and fingers crossed.
Blocky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 03:27   #6
rayf3262

Vehicle: Terrano 3.0 SVE 2002

One Wednesday last October I went for a pee and there was a distinct Claret hue to it.
Friday, I presented a normal looking sample to the GP and blood & protein confirmed as present.
Tuesday following week went to the N&N hospital to entertain the film crew in my bladder, confirmed as suspected tumors.
Thursday admitted for transureathal surgery (TURBT) to remove suspect tumours followed by an overnight stay.
Friday morning urologist said it was unlikely not to be cancer, but would have to wait for patholgy results to confirm.
A week passes and I am invited to hospital for a consultation with my (now) oncologist. Cancer confirmed as stage 3 PT2 or “intensive invasive bladder cancer”. One of the potential opions tabled was surgery, radical cystectomy......

This is followed by CT scan and then a MRI scan. Another week passes and it off to see the oncologist again as the scan results are in.
Surgery is no longer an option as it has spread to some lymph nodes in the renal area.
So we are going in with Chemotherapy (Cisplatin & Gemcitabine) on 28 day cycle, this will be followed by a course of radiotherapy.

I had four 28 day cycles of the chemotherapy which I complted in May of this year. It was pretty unpleasant at times but I still managed to go to work most days. Generally there where 3~4 days in each cycle where the effects where at their worst, I stayed in bed for these.
I had a CT scan on completion of the chemotherapy, and the results where very good, the lymph nodes where confirmed as normal and very little of the cancer was now evident in my bladder.
I asked the oncologist why the results where so good and he just said occasionaly we see a very good response to chemotherapy.
So it looks like I may be very very fortunate

This was then followed by the radiotherapy planning, more CT scans and four reference tatoos applied.
In June I start the first of my thirty radiotherapy fractions in the linear accelerator or LINAC. This involed a 60~90 minute visit to the hospital Moday to Friday for six weeks.
The radiotherapy delivery was largely uneventful and without any intolerable side effects, save for some digestive system disruption.
Radiotherapy completed I am am now feeling tired and a little fatigued, but it's back to the spinning X ray machine for another CT scan.

Good news from the oncolgist followed the scan results are clear, NED, no evidence of disease or remission if you like.
I am now on a four monthly CT scan for the next three years.......

There is a part I have missed out, that is the bloody awful post effects of the radiotherapy. l did not leave the confines of my house for six weeks, most of which was spent in bed or the toilet peeing every 30 minutes night and day.
Also my digestive system and bowel where not happy campers either!

Anyhow its now a little over a year since I took that urine sample to the GP and things are getting back to some sort of normality, save for the fact I am still coping with urgency & frequency although this is now getting better.

In the last couple of weeks though I have developed acute bilateral sciatica, which has been confirmed as suspected nerve damage potentially caused by the radiotherapy, I am off for another MRI scan in a week or so to diagnose this.......

Jim, figers crossed your problem is confined to the bladder lining as this will likely be treated by “insert chemotherapy” with mitomycin or similar and few side effects I was told. Be lucky.

I had a discussion with my GP about self screening and he confirned that he thought it a good idea as he tests his own and he would raise it at their next practice meeting.
Urineanalysis test strips are easily available and all you need to do is test your pee every two or three months, if blood is indicated then off to the GP for professional testing.

These test strips will indicate the presence of blood long before it becomes visible, it certainly would have given me the oppurtuinty for much earlier detection.
Here’s an example, and at a few pence each no excuse:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Health-Para...97RSJBCTV6V8A4
Old 27-11-2018, 08:39   #7
Davey Boy

Vehicle: Patrol ZD30 SVE

Thanks Jim.
Because of your words and those of others on here, I am generally more conscious of my wellbeing.
I spent a whole day in Exeter General a week ago for various cardio tests and X-rays.
All clear.
Deffo gonna get the Urea-analysis strips.
Thanks for sharing everyone.
Davey
Davey Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 21:55   #8
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Thumbs up Most people survive cancers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayf3262 View Post
One Wednesday last October I went for a pee and there was a distinct Claret hue to it.
Friday, I presented a normal looking sample to the GP and blood & protein confirmed as present.
Tuesday following week went to the N&N hospital to entertain the film crew in my bladder, confirmed as suspected tumors.
Thursday admitted for transureathal surgery (TURBT) to remove suspect tumours followed by an overnight stay.
Friday morning urologist said it was unlikely not to be cancer, but would have to wait for patholgy results to confirm.
A week passes and I am invited to hospital for a consultation with my (now) oncologist. Cancer confirmed as stage 3 PT2 or “intensive invasive bladder cancer”. One of the potential opions tabled was surgery, radical cystectomy......

This is followed by CT scan and then a MRI scan. Another week passes and it off to see the oncologist again as the scan results are in.
Surgery is no longer an option as it has spread to some lymph nodes in the renal area.
So we are going in with Chemotherapy (Cisplatin & Gemcitabine) on 28 day cycle, this will be followed by a course of radiotherapy.

I had four 28 day cycles of the chemotherapy which I complted in May of this year. It was pretty unpleasant at times but I still managed to go to work most days. Generally there where 3~4 days in each cycle where the effects where at their worst, I stayed in bed for these.
I had a CT scan on completion of the chemotherapy, and the results where very good, the lymph nodes where confirmed as normal and very little of the cancer was now evident in my bladder.
I asked the oncologist why the results where so good and he just said occasionaly we see a very good response to chemotherapy.
So it looks like I may be very very fortunate

This was then followed by the radiotherapy planning, more CT scans and four reference tatoos applied.
In June I start the first of my thirty radiotherapy fractions in the linear accelerator or LINAC. This involed a 60~90 minute visit to the hospital Moday to Friday for six weeks.
The radiotherapy delivery was largely uneventful and without any intolerable side effects, save for some digestive system disruption.
Radiotherapy completed I am am now feeling tired and a little fatigued, but it's back to the spinning X ray machine for another CT scan.

Good news from the oncolgist followed the scan results are clear, NED, no evidence of disease or remission if you like.
I am now on a four monthly CT scan for the next three years.......

There is a part I have missed out, that is the bloody awful post effects of the radiotherapy. l did not leave the confines of my house for six weeks, most of which was spent in bed or the toilet peeing every 30 minutes night and day.
Also my digestive system and bowel where not happy campers either!

Anyhow its now a little over a year since I took that urine sample to the GP and things are getting back to some sort of normality, save for the fact I am still coping with urgency & frequency although this is now getting better.

In the last couple of weeks though I have developed acute bilateral sciatica, which has been confirmed as suspected nerve damage potentially caused by the radiotherapy, I am off for another MRI scan in a week or so to diagnose this.......

Jim, figers crossed your problem is confined to the bladder lining as this will likely be treated by “insert chemotherapy” with mitomycin or similar and few side effects I was told. Be lucky.

I had a discussion with my GP about self screening and he confirned that he thought it a good idea as he tests his own and he would raise it at their next practice meeting.
Urineanalysis test strips are easily available and all you need to do is test your pee every two or three months, if blood is indicated then off to the GP for professional testing.

These test strips will indicate the presence of blood long before it becomes visible, it certainly would have given me the oppurtuinty for much earlier detection.
Here’s an example, and at a few pence each no excuse:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Health-Para...97RSJBCTV6V8A4
As a long term cancer survivor I read your post with interest. In my case it was Hodgkin's Lymphoma Stage 2 back in 1987. After an initial 12 months of Vincristine based Chemotherapy it came back in 1990 when I had a newer drug regime followed by radiation treatment for a month. My Oncologist Dr Golding has now retired as has my Radiologist Dr Guthrie who I see quite frequently when shopping locally!

I have always wanted to wear some sort of "Membership Badge" to signal to fellow survivors that I have shared the ordeal. After 20 years I was finally discharged from the annual follow ups in 2010!
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 00:11   #9
kitchenman

Vehicle: maverick 1994 2.7 TD

Just bought some of those test strips from Lloyds pharmacy about a fiver for 100, other pharmacies and my Doctors reception said Prescription only The only problem is me being colour blind, but having the strips is a start
kitchenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 00:38   #10
rayf3262

Vehicle: Terrano 3.0 SVE 2002

being colour blind may not be be an issue, as your are making a comparison?
It annoys me when so called self appointed experts put it grossly incurate information (receptionist). Anybody would think you where asking where you could pick up a box of Diazapam......
Old 31-01-2019, 10:26   #11
jims-terrano

Default And So My Battle Continues

Right guys this has been a very difficult time for me and my family. Tomorrow I go in for a second operation which will see me with a plastic bag for life and not a tescos bag. This is so difficult right now as there’s so many mixed emotions not to mention doubts and questioning myself as to whether I’m doing the right thing or not. I genuinely appreciate all the messages from friends and I thank you all for that. One thing has struck me, people from all over my world have described me as brave. I’m not I’m crapping myself and doing what I have to do to be around for my family because I’m too frightened of the alternative.
I’ve also just found out that my brother is seriously ill in hospital too but unfortunately I have no choice but to concentrate on myself right now and there is also a lot of history there too.
So this afternoon I go for my first injection to prevent blood clots, the first of many and they sting like buggery too. Then I start drinking prescribed build up drinks.
I’ll post an update when I can but unfortunately I’ll be offline for a while so will be a while before I can do much of an update for you.

Now this post is not meant for sympathy but rather highlighting to you guys the importance of going to to the doctors with symptoms to do with urine, gentleman sausage (or lady garden for that matter as remember we have lady members too) or any other part of your anatomy. Sometimes you may have to be persistent with the doctors too. I have experienced this problem.

So guys don’t be shy get yourselves checked let’s beat this dam disease.

Oh and the next time you see a Macmillan collection please stick a few pence in as they are an amazing organisation, you don’t realise how amazing until you need them. Now I could get political and ask why our government would rather waste money arguing and speaking nonsense rather than agreeing to fund organisations like Macmillan but there’s no poiint as it won’t change anything complaining.
Old 31-01-2019, 12:21   #12
RJL Services

Vehicle: Nissan Terrano 2.7 2003

good luck jim will be thinking of you and family during this time
RJL Services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 12:23   #13
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van

Good luck Jim

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 12:26   #14
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Thumbs up All the best Jim

Hi Jim, Best of luck with your surgery I ordered some self test urine strips today - just to be on the safe side, I know I have BPE anyway so just belt & braces !

Aside from helping others here on this site doing a post on what you are going through is also therapeutic in itself as I am sure you are aware.

My health is pretty good at the moment heart valve replacement has not been offered yet as the medication seems to be sorting me out okay. I am in no rush for a heart valve replacement even if it was offered.

Wendy is on the list for Hip replacement after going to Nottingham City for a second opinion as we found the Consultant at Derby less than ideal. We are hoping the Hip list will not be too long possibly sorted by April - she has been in medium to severe pain for the last 3 years.
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 12:32   #15
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

Yes all the best Jim, and you have reminded me to do a test, I have the strips but not done a test in a while so will do next time I need a pee, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote