:::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.:::

:::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: (http://www.nissan4x4ownersclub.com/forum/index.php)
-   I'm new here, please be gentle (http://www.nissan4x4ownersclub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   New Terrano Owner (http://www.nissan4x4ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30770)

One Foot in the Gravy 30-03-2021 11:35

New Terrano Owner

Hi, I'm new to the world of Terranos (and 4x4 in general).

To cut a long story short, I've never had much need for a car in the last few years, my wife has a car (which we used as the family car) and I used to commute to work on a Vespa, but I did have an old MG TF (that as basically given to me) that I kept for fun but didn't really use.

Then the world went mad about a year ago, so I now work from, my wife has to work different hours, and suddenly I need to start doing school runs! :(

So the MG went, and I needed something with more than 2 seats. The problem is that I hate (well I'm not fond of) hatchbacks. One in 10 cars you see on the road (in the UK) are bloody hatchbacks and they are all so boring. I decided if I was going to go big, then I was going BIG.

As look would have it a local car dealer was selling a 2004 Terrano II with 97k on the clock and an MOT until September (with no advisories at the last test) and was willing to give me a good price on the MG in part ex.

Knowing nothing about 4x4 I went online to find out a little more about the 4x4 that I'd bought and came across this happy little forum, so I thought I'd join. I do have lots of questions, so I'll try and post them in correct threads, but one thing I'm struggling to find is the correct Wheel Nut Torque? I've found several websites that claim slightly different amounts, if anyone knows what it should be that would be a big help as I'm getting new tyres (Pirrelli Scorpions) on Thursday.

Gravy

One Foot in the Gravy 30-03-2021 11:42

Also

Also, is there a search function to search for keywords in existing threads? I don't want to be posting questions if I can find the answers already on here :)

Banshee 30-03-2021 12:22

Hey Buddy :cool:

Welcome to the new world!!! Not only do you have some of the best green lanes in the country on your doorstep but also some of the best members too :D

The forum has gone very quiet of late with the world changing and life unfolding, some people, buying some people getting rid. This isn't your normal type of forum though, I'm on loads and this one is odd....... feels more of a family at times, might be because I've met so so many of these great guys on here, that's pretty rare for a forum.

You've made the right choice mate!!! The 2.7 Terrano takes some stopping

The search is on the bar at the top 3rd from the right but be warned, it sometimes feels like you need a degree to operate it and get meaningful results out of it sometimes :lol

Lets see some pictures of the new machine and hear what you plan to do with it :naughty

Banshee 30-03-2021 12:23

Ah!!!! Forgot to mention, you won't have access to the rest of the forum or the search until you have paid your membership, it's £10 for the year, but be warned you'll never leave :augie

One Foot in the Gravy 30-03-2021 14:16

Hi, and thanks. Yes I think I'll have to look into a paid-up membership, it certainly does seem like a very friendly and active forum.

I don't have any real plans yet. I've always fancied some green-laning, but I imagine that is a quick way to start breaking things!

For now though I just want to get it cleaned u a little. It's not been wahsed properly for a while (lots of green algae around all the seals etc) and it has a couple of minor rust spots that just need a tidy up. The undercarriage is looking rustly too, but I figure that comes with the territory for a 4x4 this ade, so I want to get it up on some axle stands and give it all a good rub down and treatment.

It's getting new tyres later this week, and there is a tiny bit of oil dripping from under the engine somewhere, so I'm hoping I can get the garage to identify where that is coming from and I'll see if it's a potential DIY fix for one weekend.

I also have a new oil filter and fuel filter that came with the van, so I might see about swapping though out at some point too.

Surprisingly though, the interior is in excellent condition. To look at it you wouldn't think it had done almost 100k miles!

One thing I did notice though is that both rear arches have been cut up and re-welded, I'm not sure what that is a sign of? (I'll try and get some pics of the work). I only noticed because the carpet hadn't been fitted back that well, but the work looks to be good.

solarman216 30-03-2021 19:03

Hi and welcome, wheel nuts 100 to 110 ft lbs, rear wheel arches will be due to seat belt points corroded, have a good look round for more especially near body mounts 8 on a LWB 6 on a shorty, Rick

elty001 30-03-2021 21:53

Welcome aboard:thumb2
Only a short run down the A38 from me:cool:

One Foot in the Gravy 31-03-2021 09:43

Thanks for the welcome.

That's good to know for the wheel nuts thanks.

I've just had a closer look at the body mounts and I think they should be ok. The mounts themselves have a lot of surface rust (like most of the underside), but with a good clean-up I think they should be ok. On the inside, none of the carpet looks to have been lifted up in those areas (or if it has they have done a better job of putting it back than around the arches), so I don't think they have been welded.

I can see what you mean about the seatbelt points, it looks like that was the case.

Yep, I'm not far from Alfreton at all, I'm actually Little Eaton so not far at all.

panelbeater 31-03-2021 12:07

welcome and have fun,what the guys on here dont know about the terry ,its probably not worth knowing but we all can learn something just reading the posts.

macabethiel 01-04-2021 10:37

Welcome to the Club

You will find this site very handy if you carry out your own repairs. I used to own the Tearrano r3mR inport but have remained a member although I have moved over to Jeeps as the Nissan was getting rather old.

I'm in Derby too Littleover/Mickleover area to be more precise.

One Foot in the Gravy 23-04-2021 11:10

So...

I noticed that the engine was losing a little bit of oil while sat on the drive. Only one drip every couple of days. I took it to my local garage to have a quick look and they recond it's the head gasket.

Looking through the bits and bobs that were left in the boot when I bought it, there is a brand new head gasket! So I guess that should have been a bit of a give away really.

Now whilst I am happy to get stuck in with the straight foward repairs and service stuff myself, I have never taken the head of an engine before. Is this something you would recommend to a newbie? (any youtube video links to how to do this out there?)Or if the leak isn't that bad should I just leave it alone?

Alternatively, does anyone know if the is some sort of external sealant I could use just to patch it up?

Cheers,

Gravy

One Foot in the Gravy 23-04-2021 11:16

Also, here is a photo btw (of the car, not the leak)

http://www.nissan4x4ownersclub.com/f...pictureid=1382

solarman216 23-04-2021 12:02

It is very unusual for a head gasket to cause an oil leak, the more normal faults are combustion gasses leaking into the waterways causing water system to over pressure and lose water, or a blow between two cylinders causing poor performance/misfire, if you do not have these symptoms then leave well alone is my advice, Rick

One Foot in the Gravy 23-04-2021 12:30

Thanks, I'm beginning to think the same.

I'm planning on changing the oil and filter in the next couple of weeks. I'll try and give it all a good clean down at the same time and see if I can try and narrow down where it's coming from.

Any recommendations of the best oil to use on these?

solarman216 23-04-2021 13:10

I only use mineral oil in mine, Rick