View Single Post
Old 16-08-2014, 07:27   #9
macabethiel
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustic View Post
Alex, you were very lucky, had you been turning out of a junction, you could have gone head on into oncoming traffic.

During discussions of body lifts, not many people explain about adjusting the steering ?

On my Mav, there doesn't seem that much adjustment left on the upper clamp bolt, and that is standard, without a lift too.

So where does the extra length come from?

Let's reiterate...
You started with a great looking road worthy safe and reliable Terrano, that you would be happy to take your family out in comfort and relative safety.

What have you got now?
A vehicle that weeps for attention after you threw gravel into the air intake,
A car that couldn't pass an MOT
A car that emits fumes into the cab, as the exhaust is too short.
A car with a missing rear ARB, which under certain circumstances can make the vehicle unstable, in say a violent manoeuvre to avoid an obstruction, or in the event of a blow out.
You have bumpers to die for...
The front ARB trying to escape, again making the vehicle extremely unstable, especially now as the centre of gravity is now higher after the lift.
Now you have a vehicle with dangerous steering that could have killed you or innocent road users or pedestrians.

Again you were lucky, had another vehicle been involved, or damage to property, then the police would have been called and the vehicle seized for investigation.

For god's sake, How many wake up calls do you want.
Does someone have to die or be seriously injured before you realise you have a death trap of a vehicle.

To give yourself some peace of mind, take it to a reputable MOT tester, and do what ever is required to make it legally road worthy, then leave it alone, and just drive it, and service and maintain it, as necessary.

If you want to play off road, then buy a scrapper and a trailer, like Rick.
From your own admission, you are not capable of checking the vehicle for faults and doing on going preventative maintenance like the serious off road guys do.
I guess every week they are checking suspension, tyres, wheel bearings, shock absorbers, etc knowing that extreme off roading takes it toll on these parts.

You and You alone are responsible for any one injured whilst you are in control of this vehicle.

If you were my son, and they were my grand children, then I would take this vehicle away and have it crushed.
Harsh I know, but I would give you it's current market value, in it's current state. (scrap value).
Ouch Rustic - you have puled no punches with your comments.

Trouble is you are right of course but it takes a degree of self awareness and reflective thinking for someone to agree, listen and act.
Too often it takes a major accident for it to sink in.
Look at the Mobile Phone statistics one person killed on the UK roads every two weeks by someone texting or using a mobile phone whilst driving thats 25 people dying needlessly by some thoughless selfish drivers.
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote