Thread: Molten Metal.
View Single Post
Old 16-01-2021, 23:35   #6
Wallace
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: '97 Terrano II 2.4 Xtreme

Oh how times change. I had started a new job when I last posted on this thread and 6 weeks later I was furloughed. The Terrano ended up under an artic trailer thanks to a muppet in an X5 but refuses to die so I carried on using it rather than fixing the Golf. I wasn't sure if I would have a job to go back to so concentrated on tidying and preparing my workshop with the possibility of going back self employed, so a third car was not necessary. I did strip the head off though and it has sat for a year.
Due to the furlough, my tame Mot examiber is still off so that counts the Terrano out for an Mot until I can get into it with a Mig torch!

With this in mind, I stripped the valves out to see where the compression was going. Inlets OK, exhaust valves not looking good after a bit off lapping but the seats were OK.The valves were dropped off for refacing and have lapped in well.

Dreading a big bill on gaskets, seals, head bolts and a pair of cam belts with tensioners totalling half the cars value I was pleased to see the belts and tensioner looked fresh. My friend who gave me the car after his son killed it confirmed the car had been serviced and the belts done just before he bought it, that's a result

I have challenged myself to get this car on the road for as little as possible. It had 4 new Michelin tyres, clutch kit and a replacement gearbox just before the cat melted. I'm £40 and some time into it so far, but I sold a friend two tyres off the spares car and I had half a tank of fuel out of it for the Terrano so I'm just about still in pocket.

Part of my workshop refurb included buying a DRO for my mill so it's any excuse to use it at the moment so I turned and milled an end for a converted G Clamp to use as a valve spring compressor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210104_203414.jpg (62.8 KB, 33 views)
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote