Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 01-10-2007, 21:03   #1
kevtraynor

Default nissan navara

hey guys and gals

i might be putting my neck on the line asking this on a nissan owners club forum (!) but i'm a newcomer to this game and am thinking about buying a nissan navara for a mixture of work/pleasure. are they any good?

i've read some bad reviews (has anyone been to whatcar.co.uk? reader reviews do not make pretty reading about the navara!)

are there safety issues with them being a bit light (and the back end going?) - i'm keen to know before i consider buying as i'll probably have my kids in the truck with me a fair bit

thanks in advance

kevin

ps - be nice to me - i've paid my tenner membership!!!! lol
Old 01-10-2007, 21:11   #2
jace

you thinking new model the d40 one as they call them? there where few isues/recalls on early ones all covered by warranty only one thats really still around is clutches failing very early but theres a uprated clutch to be fitted under warranty but nissan trying to hold out see if they can get owners to cough if they kick up to much fuss they relent!.
for the older ones d22 model its engines exsploding at 60k despite a full service history nissan again using every trick in book to avoid paying (8 grand for new engine).
i hammer my navara and its as stable as anything ive driven of course two tonne metal needs plenty stopping time but breaks are massive! i love mine best nissan ive had........so far!
go try one out ask em for weekend test if they want your money theyll agree then give it some rough treatment see if anything breaks
Old 01-10-2007, 21:17   #3
kevtraynor

yep - i'm thinking about buying the new model for work and i'm in northern ireland so plenty of terrain for trying it off road

heard bad reports about nissan's customer service - people ain't too happy with them from what i can read...

i can do without the engine giving up on me - it seems to be an issue with them too

i'm a van driver at present so i'l probably need to adjust my driving style...
Old 01-10-2007, 21:25   #4
jace

ha ha your second member fromm eire to be buying nav "baskie" just ordered his. engines blowin are on older ones new d40 model has revised engine (although nissan said nothing wrong with old one lol) will be all euro compliant so if it were over here itd get tax breaks dunno about your neck woods! my old beast isnt as refined as new ones which are little bigger all round you get a switch for changing into 4x4 alsorts gizmos lol!
http://www.nissan4x4ownersclub.co.uk...ewtopic&t=5301
Old 01-10-2007, 21:29   #5
Deleted Member S
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

I don't think the navara is any different to any other pick up on the market or RWD car for that mater will suffer oversteer in the wet if you push it a little bit hard :roll:
Deleted Member S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 23:22   #6
baskie

Hi, ordered a Sport model last week from Hursts on Boucher Road. Really didn't think I'd deal with them as heard all the usual stories but they were excellent. I dealt with glynis who did me a fantastic deal, but I caught them at the ed of the registration quarter and they were mad keen for the business (not bothered about making a profit on the car, just wanted the reg to make their reg bonus from Nissan.

I work in Carryduff, if your local your welcome to give me a shout and have a look over it when it arrives, which should be in a day or two.
baskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:12   #7
jace

when my mate bought his vw minibus they were the same aparently if hed have waited theyd have had to pay vw a months money for having it in stock so were more than willing to do deal
Old 02-10-2007, 21:49   #8
metalguru

Hi,
I`ve had 2 now for a few weeks and love them.
The back end doesn`t feel as light as my old Terrano 3.0 Di turbo, but maybe it`s cos it`s an auto.
My business partner`s is a manual and he reckons it feels a bit twitchy unladen in the wet but (touch wood) hasn`t lost it yet, and he`s got a heavy right foot.
As far as the goodie list goes the Aventura spoils you rotten with electric everything, but if you drop down to a Outlaw you lose the real juicy bits and the leather.
I`ve had an oil leak on mine and the dealer has been brilliant - but still hasn`t managed to sort it - it`s back this thursday.
If you really want to be sure go for a test drive in the Mitsubishi L200 and you`ll plumb for the Nissan without hesitation.
To be honest they are too good for a van, which is what they are intended for, and in reality are a good way of getting the purchase VAT back for a very luxurious commercial that drives like a big car.
Fuel consumption isn`t fantastic but I suppose given the size and weight that can be expected - i`ve averaged 26MPG this week with 250 miles on the motorway @80mph and 150 miles in traffic.
Old 04-10-2007, 15:56   #9
baskie

Picked mine up last night. Once I got the driving position sorted it's very nice, surpisingly lower than the T2. Did a run to the recycling plant in it today with the back loaded with cardboard, and it takes a lot less of a load than I thought. The load space is really quite small.

Still, initially happy with it. If you want to have a look over it and are local let me know.
baskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 17:02   #10

A mate of mine had a new model d40 just after they came out. No end of problems, went back for warranty work 26 times in 18 months. New axle, drivers seat, clutch, 4wd packed up twice and no end of other problems. After bringing in the solicitors he got a replacement as it was 'unfit for purpose'. So far new one is ok!!!!
Old 04-10-2007, 17:47   #11
jace

thats the early ones its usaully 4x4 switch on dash clutch now uprated part no.s nissan warranty people notoriously difficult to get an admission but seems if keep at em theyll relent esp if yove a little knowledge from a forum such as this!