Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 18-10-2007, 23:19   #1
andrewk
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Nissan Patrol
Default Jacking a Patrol offroad

The Patrol comes with a screw jack - but it isn't going to be a whole lot of use on a greenlane unless you are very lucky. A hilift jack can't readily be used on a stock Patrol, as far as I can tell. Whilst I have a decent 3 ton trolley jack, it's a huge chunk of metal and more than a bit arm stretching to lug around with you. In any case, it's just a likely to sink into the ground as a screw jack - so probably isn't a great solution to offroad jacking anyway.

I've always quite fancied an airbag jack that you inflate with a pipe from the exhaust. The Draper ones are cheap (and possibly nasty too). Most of the others I've seen are much more expensive and might have to be imported from Australia - the freight charge would cost more than a Draper jack!!! In any case, the exhaust pipe on my Patrol is cut-off at an angle (i.e. the end is not circular) - and I'm not at all sure that the connecting cone for a bag jack could even be made to fit.

So - what do those of you with a Patrol or a Terrano (or whatever), who go greenlaning, take with you to jack the vehicle up if you have a flat or get stuck and need to lift the wheels? Does anyone actually use an airbag jack? If you do, which one is it and where did you get it? How well do they work?

Cheers
andrewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 23:24   #2
Terranosaurus

Vehicle: 2001 2.7 TDi T2 SWB

I just carry the standard screw jack, though I'd like to replace it with a hydraulic bottle jack. I've got a hi-lift and am working on mounting it and having something to use it on, rock sliders with landy size tubes so I can use one of the landy adapters.
Terranosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 02:08   #3

I use a hi lift with an adaptor for landies and a home made hook adaptor for all other vehicles with metal bumpers or tow eyes. The landy adaptor or the hook will also lift from the wheels. I also support the jack at home with a home made 2" thick wooden screw on base 2' square, or off raod on an old waffle board. This is the landy adaptor: http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/OFF_...alvanised.html with a bit of thought it can be used on any vehicle. This is what I based my hook adaptor on: http://www.arbil4x4.co.uk/product_detail.php?id=11 and this is the jack in use with the standard landy adaptor: http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...2/IMGP2338.jpg

I also have a draper air jack for my Mav and caravan which is quite adequate for changing a wheel etc. I have not used it to cast with as I don't off road the Mav that severe. The air bag lifts to approx 24" and would therefore not be high enough for a Patrol. Draper air jacks: http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/3-Tonne...2&category=518 and for anyone interested in a quick how to: http://www.nissan4x4.co.za/technical...gs/article.htm

There are bigger English air bag jacks available but a premium has to be paid, I think they start at about £250 for the smallest.

Terranos come with a bottle jack and long handle, same as landys.

I have a screw jack (circa 1970s landy) that I keep in garage, but rarely use as its too much like hard work.

Long post I know but I thought it may cover things for other people too.
Old 19-10-2007, 09:24   #4
jace

carry bitve scaffold plank as firm base for screw jack, base on highlift not that big either
Old 19-10-2007, 21:09   #5
JonathanM

I've got an airbag jack purchased from Specilaised Leisure, much better capacity than the draper, mine has a 4 tonne capacity and a lift of about 40 inches, lifts my terrano quite well with no effort. Cost £100 or so a coupleof years ago.

But having used a hi lift with a landie in the past, for recovery purposes the hi lift has the edge, especially if used with an adaptor like the Lift mate http://www.arbil4x4.co.uk/product_detail.php?id=37

I also carry a trolley jack, if used with a length of waffle board it can lift a vehicle for wheel changing on all but the softest ground.
JonathanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 13:12   #6
bigjim

i use to have a exhaust jack yaers ago it was fantastic and quick
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 13:52   #7
Paul

Vehicle: 2002 Terrano 3.0 Di LWB

Question time... Is £30 for a second hand 3 tonne draper air jack about right? one for sale on one of the mr2 forums I'm on. been thinking of one for ages when I had our Jeep.

Paul
Old 20-10-2007, 17:42   #8
JonathanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul332
Question time... Is £30 for a second hand 3 tonne draper air jack about right? one for sale on one of the mr2 forums I'm on. been thinking of one for ages when I had our Jeep.

Paul
Last time I looked the draper ones were about that much new on ebay. Problem is they may not have enough lift height.
Old 20-10-2007, 19:04   #9
andrewk

Vehicle: Nissan Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanM
Last time I looked the draper ones were about that much new on ebay. Problem is they may not have enough lift height.
I think they're a bit more than that. Cheapest I've seen is Amazon at £46.98 inc VAT delivered. Even so, £30 seems a tad rich for a second hand balloon whose history, usage and condition is unknown.

Max height quoted in the Draper advert is 545mm, i.e. about 21ins. (presumably with no load - loaded could be several inches less). The Patrol side-steps & lowest bit of chassis rail are both about 12ins above the ground, so it's a bit unlikely that it would be able to lift either front or rear wheels.

For comparison, a Bushranger Xjack has a 750mm (29.5ins). A 4 ton Easylift air jack has a 36ins lift, but costs a fortune.

Cheers
Andrew
andrewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 19:33   #10
Paul

Vehicle: 2002 Terrano 3.0 Di LWB

Thanx for that. :wink: Didn't think to look on Amazon ops:
Old 21-10-2007, 18:21   #11
JonathanM

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...PA210030-1.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...h/PA210029.jpg

This is branded as a DV brand "RV 4x4 Air Jack" rated to 4 tonne. In both of these pics the jack has lifted the tyre clear of the floor, without trying - by which I mean my Mrs refused to come outside and stand at the drivers door to blip the throttle, "just to post pictures on that bloody forum". Even at idle with a bit more persistance holding the funnel on the exhaust it will lift higher without any problems. As you can see being on the drive I wasn't too fussed about correct placement, meaning lost lift height through sheer laziness.

Both front & rear are wheels are at maximum drop, when a neighbour did come out to play we got the rear wheel a good 6 inches off the floor - I'd put the camera away by then though!
Old 21-10-2007, 18:29   #12
Terranosaurus

Vehicle: 2001 2.7 TDi T2 SWB

Not sure that would lift my rear wheels off the floor, especially when I get the new longer shocks fitted, need to work on getting them rock sliders made and fitted so I can use a hi-lift on her.
Terranosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote