Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > Caravan or Towing

Caravan or Towing In this forum you can post anything with regards to caravaning or towing.

Old 24-03-2016, 08:50   #1
harlowmaverick
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Nissan Terrano 3.0 tdi 03
Default Rear camera

I'm going to be towing a lot soon and need to have the ability to reverse up to my catering trailer and hitch it on my own.
I want to fit a rear camera so that I can see the ball on the terrano and the hitch on the trailer to line them up and to know when to stick the handbrake on.
I will be on my own as I don't want the missus telling me , left a little, back more, you have gone to far, oops!
So frustrating!!!
Anyway, suggestion on the type of camera, where its mounted and where to mount the screen inside my 2004 beast would be welcome.
Cheers guys
harlowmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 09:07   #2
jims-terrano

What about those cheap dash cams on ebay that have a second camera for the rear?

Nice n cheap

Also noticed there seems to be plenty "brigade" reversing cameras on fleabay too, im sure someone on here fitted one a while ago.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 09:22   #3
harlowmaverick

Vehicle: Nissan Terrano 3.0 tdi 03

Hi Jim, thanks for your input!
I have already got one of the brigade cameras but I cant imagine where to mount the thing!
The spare wheel gets in the way if I mount it high and if I mount it low I know the little buggers around here will mess around with it or smash it off.
Maybe a number plate mounted camera will be the answer.
harlowmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 09:30   #4
groovylee

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7 TD

watching with interest, as I have been thinking about the same thing for mine :-) i already have a massive reversing light fitted to the hitch that i am going to replace with an LED unit (bit smaller) so could rig the camera power from that feed too?.....
groovylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 10:33   #5
Thomas61

Vehicle: Terrano but now Honda CRV

Hi,

In the past have i thought about a camera and quite liked this idea of a movable wireless camera held on with a magnet. Seems some people stick them near the tow bar to hitch up then move them inside the horsebox to keep a eye on horse then move again to the back or blindside of the trailer for tricky reversing. The idea appealed as not tied to towing with one vehicle and nothing for people to damage. However the need for towing disappeared so never followed up.

http://www.amazon.com/5-8GHz-Wireles.../dp/B0035WSQEC
Thomas61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 15:26   #6
Lazy-Ferret

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDi SE Touring

I went the full hog, and replaced the rear view mirror with a Waeco 7" monitor, that controls 3 cameras...

I have a double camera on the top of the spare wheel, one lens looks behind for normal driving, and the second lens opens a cover and looks down when you are reversing. The tow bar is actually under the spare wheel, so I use the number plate lights on the spare wheel cover to line up, and when the handle/lever of the hitch is just going under the spare wheel I am perfectly lined up.

The great thing is, the night vision on these cameras is so good just the tail lights give enough light to see by.

I have a socket mounted where the number plate used to be, and this links to the camera on the caravan, and the Waeco monitor automatically displays that one, over the one on the rear of the car once it is connected...

Monitor

Camera for Driving

Camera for reversing

You can just make out the extra socket in the middle of where the number plate is as standard.
Lazy-Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 22:16   #7
Daemo

Vehicle: Patrol y61, safari y60.

Have a look at brigade units, not cheap though.. I've got two which I haven't installed yet one with 5" screen and one with 3" screen, 5" screen is hard to place into a cabin but a nice size.
Daemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 22:53   #8
emjaybee

Vehicle: 3.0Di SVE '05 5 door.

I know we all love "tech"...

...but have you thought about fitting a "hitch" mirror to your trailer above the trailer coupling?

We have one fitted to the wife's horse trailer.

Wiring it was easy.

It was no problem working out where to fit the screen.

etc. etc.

I love tech as much as the next person, but don't forget that sometimes simple is as good as complicated!

emjaybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 23:18   #9
Lazy-Ferret

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDi SE Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjaybee View Post
I know we all love "tech"...

...but have you thought about fitting a "hitch" mirror to your trailer above the trailer coupling?

We have one fitted to the wife's horse trailer.

Wiring it was easy.

It was no problem working out where to fit the screen.

etc. etc.

I love tech as much as the next person, but don't forget that sometimes simple is as good as complicated!

Thats like the one I saw that used two sticks that slid into clips, one mounted on the trailer, just behind the hitch, and the other one on a clip on bracket above the tow ball, you just reverse up till the 2 sticks touch, and you are lined up.
Lazy-Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 23:44   #10
don simon

Vehicle: Terrano ii

Try a couple of dry runs and take note on the rear of the vehicle and a reference point on the trailer and you should be able to do it without a camera. I used to be able to get the car to within an inch every time on my own.... several times a day... It's all about practice.
don simon is offline   Reply With Quote