Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 27-12-2020, 22:35   #1
Oddball Matt
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: 1999 Terrano ll 2.7tdi
Default Newbie from Finland with a few dumb questions

Hello all apparently I've registered to the forum during the ownership of my last 4x4 Nissan but never made any posts so here I am again as I just today got me an another one.

It's a 1999 Terrano 2 diesel automatic, not sure if it's still the 2.7L "unbreakable" engine as this seems to be a facelift model from the previous one I owned. Was a bit of a rush buy as I'm a private contractor delivering mail in a rural area and my trusted Fiat Scudo van lunched a wheel bearing last monday just in time for every single repair shop to be closed over the holidays and I gotta get to work tomorrow, been eyeballing this particular car for a long time since it's automatic but couldn't get to the seller to see it so decided what the heck and gave him a call asking if he'd be willing to deliver and the very polite young man in the other end actually agreed to make it happen! So I bought the car basically without seeing it, paying him what he asked for it and actually slipped in an extra 300 for holiday home delivery.

Haven't driven it that much yet, just a few laps around the block to make sure it works and all, has a few niggles like a busted rear hatch lever and such but nothing I cannot fix or jerry rig. Seems pretty tail happy even with 4x4 engaged but I suppose that's mainly because of the non-studded winter tires. Speaking of 4x4, does the facelift model come with automatic front hub locks as the older '97 I had, hsd the twister knobs on the front hubs and this one doesn't.

Also would like to ask about these. I know full well they're self fitted so they can do pretty much anything but if anyone would hazard an educated guess based on some popular mods people do to these what could these switches do as they don't seem to be doing much at all right now (the last one had some sort of a fuel feed mod that had a switch there and it was supposed to give it more torque but basically all it did was make the truck roll coal)

There's also a three way rocker switch at the right side of the steering wheel with the letters A/T in the middle and the symbols S on top and a snowflake on the bottom, I'm assuming this is to modify the transmission behaviour for summer and winter (so why is there a center position as well)

I know most of these could be answered with the regular RTFM answer but yes I checked and it's lost somewhere to the static of cosmos over the years.

Wow that came out longer than intended. Anyway have a goodun folks really hoping this one will be a keeper as I've lost a TON of money on POS cars this year that were supposed to be ship shape (cough cough hyundai santa fe)
Oddball Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 23:00   #2
Flying Torquewrench

Vehicle: Nissan Patrol Y61 2.8TD

Welcome to the forum!
Flying Torquewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 23:15   #3
elty001

Vehicle: 2000se+ 2.7tdi terrano II

Welcome along
A 1999 should be fitted with auto hubs that engage when the transfer is put into 4wd.
Being tail happy is a sign that the rear diff oil is ready for a change.Needs to be LSD oil.
After market switches are anybodies guess to be honest but a bit of wiring tracing might reveal what they are supposed to do.
The rocker switch for the auto transmission has 3 settings.S is sport mode which holds the gears slightly longer,centre position,AT is normal driving mode and the snow flake will use a higher gear to pull off to avoid wheelspin.
Looking at your picture i can see the bonnet scoop for the intercooler is dead centre so will be the 2.7tdi motor.
elty001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 23:41   #4
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van

Welcome mate and what a great write up and introduction.

I hope the Terrano looks after you, they are such great vehicles and we have the best wealth of knowledge on this forum in the UK, if not the world

As for the extra gadgets, like Elty said, you're going to need to just trace the wires back. As you're in a cold country, could it be an electric engine pre heater such as a Kenlowe HotStart etc ?

Looking forward to seeing and hearing more

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 23:46   #5
Oddball Matt

Awesome info guys, first post and already actually learning stuff! So a bit of wire tracing and a diff oil swap are both within stuff I can easily do at home myself, I`m a trained electronics tech though never worked one day as one, and fairly skilled with the wrenches I just lack a garage big enough to get this beast indoors as I`ve dedicated my tiny garage for motorbike maintenance and metal work.

Probs just getting to know the truck for a time before deciding what needs to be done first but based on prior experience one of the first upgrades will be interior lighting as the original is juts ridiculously poor and I need to be able to sort out mail in pitch black darkness outside so a roll of LED strip will be coming my way fairly quickly.

I`ll see if I can find pics of the old truck, it was a bit of a sight to see with a lifted body, Sahara knobblies, all metal sideskirts & bumpers and a bright orange paintjob
Old 27-12-2020, 23:48   #6
Oddball Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
Welcome mate and what a great write up and introduction.

I hope the Terrano looks after you, they are such great vehicles and we have the best wealth of knowledge on this forum in the UK, if not the world

As for the extra gadgets, like Elty said, you're going to need to just trace the wires back. As you're in a cold country, could it be an electric engine pre heater such as a Kenlowe HotStart etc ?

Looking forward to seeing and hearing more
Well the clock thingy says DEFA which is an interior heater blower manufacturer so I reckoned since it has the electric block heater AND the battery charger, the display thingy is most probly a clock to conrol the interior heater socket. Never seen one before but that seems logical.
Old 28-12-2020, 22:49   #7
Oddball Matt

Right, a full day of trucking behind me and I did find quite a lot of things about the truck, not all that pleasant...

-The truck is most defintely very tail happy, and the reason for this without a doubt is that the 4WD is NOT ENGAGING at all! Based on some further studies the front hub locks on these apparently tend to seize open is unused for long enough. If there`s an instructional thread somewhere here or elsewhere about how to inspect and service the locks I`d be most grateful as this is something I haven`t done before. If not a new set of manual locks seem to go for around 200e so not a bank breaker if it comes to that.

-There is a fairly loud whistling sound present when I give it the wellie so I`m suspecting a leak in a turbo hose somewhere

-When the engine gets hot it develops a galloping surge at idle almost like I`m pumping the throttle (^ possible link to previous as a vacuum leak?)

-If the lights are turned on automatic only the driver side headlight will lit up, however when turned to manual both work.

-When indicating a left turn the indicators blink normally twice then start blinking fast even though all work (wrong sized bulb? grounding issue?)

-The indicator stalk does not return a left turn (^possible link to previous?)

-rust damage to right rear quarter at the rear door frame

-Driver door does not sit right, wind howling between window frame at highway speeds, door clearly leaning outwards (driver and rear doors swapped from a donor at some point)

-90% of dasboard lights out

-Loud robotic drone from the ABS unit whenever ABS engages (no warning lights, brakes work. Sign of unit priming to cross the rainbow bridge?)

There`s probly more I don`t remember right now but those are currently the main issues, the biggest one being the front hub locks so any help there is greatly appreciated. All and all, considering the truck is 21 years old, it drives decently, gears work as they should, no howls from the powertrain etc, it`s a proper car just apparently been on poor service of late having served as a kid carrier for the family wife from what I heard, just needs some proper TLC but she`ll be right.
Old 28-12-2020, 23:10   #8
elty001

If you look at the top right of the page you will see quick links.
20201228_220900.jpg
Click on that then scroll down to workshop downloads and there is a how to guide to stripping and cleaning the front auto hubs.
Also loads of other useful ones����
Old 28-12-2020, 23:19   #9
Oddball Matt

Not appearing for me, assuming that`s a paid subscription only option. Planning to do that but a bit thin on the cash front til new year. Already found a few youtube videos and apparently the main cause is a broken plastic (!) thrust washer Nissan no longer makes. This is my work truck and it NEEDS to work so probly gonna order the AVM manual hubs after new year, I`m hopping in and out of the vehicle all day anyway so don`t mind twisting a few knobs here and there.
Old 29-12-2020, 09:06   #10
elty001

No plastic parts in the auto hubs.
A set of brake rings and a spring.
Sometimes they seize up or get over packed with grease.
Really easy to check.
No need to remove the wheels,just 6 allen head bolts and off they come.
Clean them out with a bit of solvent to see the state of things.
If nothing looks broken,give them a light coat of grease or oil and fit them back on.
Screenshot_20201229-094052_OneDrive.jpg
Old 29-12-2020, 22:48   #11
Oddball Matt

Ok so the hubs I had seen in the youtube video had slightly different insides so it appears the guy didn`t know what cars the parts fit.

Here`s where I`m at now, pnky promise gonna do that paid subscription as soon as the year turns and I get more monies but IF I could get your thoughts once more I`d be very grateful. Don`t laugh my methods are a bit... ad hoc but you gotta work with what you got right?

I took the hubs off and apart, found no fault in either, in fact judging by the way they were pretty thoroughly greased they looked a lot like they`ve been recently visited. Nothing obviously broken in either.

I lifted the passenger corner up and did the wheel spin, axel spin dance to try to get the hub to engage, it did not.

I then dug out my tow strap and hooked it onto the back of my van, backed the Terrano to face it rear first, hooked the tow strap on both cars, put my wife on the helm and told her to let er rip (remember the driveway is all ice and I have studless tires)

-Front prop shaft is turning
-RIGHT front CV axle is turning
-Left is not.

Is it just because the front diff is leaking all power to one side (shouldn`t the left axel be turning backwards then?) or is my front diff broken?

Asking because based on the answers the next thing will or will not be to order those AVM manual hub locks.
Old 29-12-2020, 22:52   #12
Oddball Matt

^^ Looking at the parts fiche picture again... I`d have to go in and check but I remember thinking well this shaft is awfully loose in here, and I`m not entirely sure but there`s a possibility the part named "drive flange" was not present which would explain things...
Old 30-12-2020, 01:59   #13
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

That part labeled "drive flange" is a fixed hub variant, you could simply have lost drive to left side due to the diff, it is easy to check your auto hubs, with the motor on the ground turn one drive shaft it should lock in about half a turn then turn it the other way and it will unlock, continue and it will lock again, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 08:45   #14
Oddball Matt

Tried that, it didn't work so my suspicions are heavily on the hub locks. And of course there seems to be 27 AND 28 spline versions available so I need to pop one end open again and count the splines over the weekend.
Old 30-12-2020, 18:06   #15
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

I might have that wrong, try it with the wheel off the ground, memory is not what it used to be, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote